Common Lead Paint Myth: Lead Paint in Homes and Schools is Not a Big Problem

July 6, 2023 2:51 pm

In recent years, lead-based paint may not be on many people’s radars, but there are still some risks to be aware of. Older homes and schools tend to be high-risk because during their construction there was no federal ban on lead-based paint.

As these buildings get older and their paint starts to deteriorate, people are faced with potential lead poisoning caused by ingestion or inhalation of lead-based paint.

Once you discover your home or school might contain lead-based paint, it’s important to take immediate action. Leaving the building in its current state can increase the risk of serious health problems among people of all ages. The entire building will likely need attention unless certain sections of the building were added on after the federal lead-based paint ban went into effect in 1978.

Children who are exposed to unhealthy amounts of lead are known to suffer intellectual disabilities and behavioral disorders. Both adults and children are at risk of appetite loss, constipation, hyperactivity, and attention deficits, as a result of high lead exposure. This means residents, visitors, students, and staff will have to avoid the home or school building for an extended period until lead remediation is completed by a certified professional.

Lead Paint in Homes

When a certified lead remediation professional is hired, all furniture and home decor must be removed or carefully covered with plastic to avoid lead dust particles from landing on them during the lead paint removal process.

It’s wise to remove yourself from the home until the lead paint remediation process is complete. Children and pregnant women should especially stay away from the home once high levels of lead have been identified.

Lead Paint in Schools

Young children – especially preschoolers and kindergarteners – who do a lot of hand-to-mouth activity are prone to ingesting lead-based paint chips. However, students of all grades are still growing, so their bodies are not as equipped to handle lead exposure as adults are.

Similar to lead remediation in the home, removing lead-based paint from school buildings requires protection or removal of furniture, decorations, etc. Staff, students, and visitors should all avoid the school until a lead remediation protocol has been completed.

Whether in the home or at school, lead paint removal is not something to be done on your own. The most effective way to prevent lead poisoning, in this case, is to hire an environmental expert who is equipped to remove lead-based paint and return the structure to a healthy state for all occupants and visitors.

LEW Environmental are environmental experts who specialize in lead paint testing and removal throughout New York City, Long Island, and New Jersey. Contact us to schedule a consultation and keep your home and community safe.

Tags: , ,